Author Topic: Best place to get 749S serviced  (Read 1723 times)

Paul Whittaker

Re: Best place to get 749S serviced
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2010, 05:43 PM »
 ;) Hey,
Yeah sorry about the miss direction in the Sundays club ride, and the changes to the VIP garage ride but didn't read the post as I missed it, wasn't under club rides, but that's fine found the changes now  ;D

On another note the service pricing structure changes to Ducati servicing is with the new models, 848, 1098 etc, the older Duke's still have the high pricing, might be time to up date  ;D Na just joking, there was a guy at Vacy that was good with earlier Ducati's he worked on my 900 supersport, just can't remember is name  ??? ask around someone will remember...

Offline VinceS

• Pack Leader
  • Gotta enjoy the ups in life, let's go for a ride!
    • Hunter Ducati Owners Group Inc
« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2010, 09:35 AM »
G'day G,

There has been some info on the topic before http://hunterdog.org.au/DiscussionBoard/index.php?topic=70.0 and I believe it is still current but haven't checked recently. It is not really an issue of servicing a particular model that matters so much, more a case of engine types - and there are a lot of testastrettas around, so it is not going to be "experience with the model" that sets out how the servicing experience will go.

Sunday isn't going to be a garage run as mentioned here http://hunterdog.org.au/DiscussionBoard/index.php?topic=622.msg1703 - problems sometimes of course come from too many emails flying around!

Obviously we ALL need to deal with this exact question so any rider will have a story, just scratch a few and you will soon get a balanced view! Mine is a blend between the parts counter at Frasers and my shed. But over the years I have rebuilt way more motors than I have fingers and toes so when I found the joy of Ducati ownership it gave me a strong predisposition to good old DIY!

However, as I have said elsewhere here, I have had a number of recent dealings with Frasers Newcastle and been very impressed with how much they have lifted their game locally, including the workshop. HAD we still had the garage run on Sunday and you got to meet Darren you would soon get a clue as to why that has happened!

Whinging about the cost of servicing is an extremely commonplace part of the Ducati ownership life. It all seems so insignificant when enjoying the fruits of Bologna's efforts out on the road, but eventually you have to confront the harsh reality of ponying up to keep the sucker alive! The reason it is so expensive is driven by two things. 1: there is a lot of work to be done! and 2: it costs a lot of the folding stuff to keep a modern workshop equipped properly and fully trained up. Different shops have their own balance of experience, equipment and overheads - and that is what you are trading between to come up with an overall lifetime service cost. Other issues are things like loan bikes, waiting room facilities, mechanic access and the like which all cost but are part of the "experience" and you get to choose what you want.

I haven't had a bike serviced at Frasers for some time now, it was the poor overall mgt of some aspects of their earlier life that got me determined to learn how to service the bikes properly myself. In truth I have bought several special tools, but will never have the gear Frasers has available, so there is a point where I am happy to pay for what I actually need. Like the Mathesis tester for fault diagnosis (although there is a pretty cool throttle position sensor adjustment gizmo that lets you hook up a laptop to the ecu and have a look inside!).

One thing I would suggest in talking to potential servicers is not to do it by stealth. If you have particular concerns about various aspects of it don't just "cringe and hope" - be forthright and ask nicely up front about whatever your particular concerns are, and explore the answers given if (as often happens) they are a bit of a "one size fits all" effort at first try. I have found you soon get a sense of where it is going to go / how it will work to allow sensible choices, and it is not as if you would be asking questions that haven't been asked before!

When you "get an answer" please drop a note back here about your experience, however it goes! Thanks
Vince Sunter  ( I'm ready, how about you? ); Check out these Riding Tips: http://tinyurl.com/4x3fk43 ;   Pillioning Tips: http://tinyurl.com/3r5dbz4

Paul Whittaker

« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2010, 08:36 AM »
Hey gmac,
if you go on this months club ride, it's a garage run, you can ask what Fraser's in Newcastle is like and the best place to service your 749s  ;D he is the Newcastle Fraser's Manager  ;D

Offline gmac

• Puppy
Best place to get 749S serviced
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2010, 08:42 AM »
Ladies and gents I have recently purchased a 2nd had gloss black 749S with 27k on it and now it requires its 30k service. I have heard some bad reports about Frasers in Sydney through other Ducati owners and nearly fell over at what they quoted me for the service. Can anyone advise my on any other places that can service Ducati's and what Frasers at Newcastle is like.

Thanks
Gmac
Gmac
749s

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What does the D in Hunter DOG stand for?:
Name one thing starting with D that you would love to ride?:
There is one i in Ducati, how many does "the typical rider" have?: