Author Topic: Performance upgrade 900 Sport IE 2002  (Read 1627 times)

Offline VinceS

• Pack Leader
  • Gotta enjoy the ups in life, let's go for a ride!
    • Hunter Ducati Owners Group Inc
Re: Performance upgrade 900 Sport IE 2002
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2010, 09:09 AM »
The lightened flywheel feels about the same improvement as dropping a tooth on the front sprocket (or adding 3 more teeth on the rear which is the correct way to do this, and needs a new chain). The unexpected bonus is the bike is more flickable on account of the reduced inertia - you will notice this particularly through your favourite esses!

The lightened clutch does make a difference but nowhere near as pronounced as it is spinning slower. The slipper is useful for those overcooked corners more than the inertial issues - I have gone on ad nauseum about this elsewhere you will probably have seen.

Concern about rough idling etc due to lightened flywheel is not an issue in my experience - all that happens is the bike is slightly easier to stall if you don't take off correctly. This is with the DP one which is essentially the same physically as standard, but made out of a much lighter alloy. It is a bit of a job to fit - I have made a special tool C spanner (to hold the flywheel) you are welcome to borrow (for a short while as I will need it again soon) if you are up to this sort of task. There are lighter (smaller) flywheels like Nichols (http://motorcycle.nicholsmfg.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=29&Itemid=53&TreeId=2) but I have no experience with them. I also know people machine down their stock steel ones and think it is fine - something else I haven't particularly contemplated.

Just thinking about HP obviously there is no more power generated. What happens is the same amount of power has less work to do, so it does it faster. The seat of the pants dynamometer is impressed, but a real one would be rather ho-hum about the whole thing!

I suspect increased performance is something you should have a chat to Gowanlochs or Ron Young at Vacy about. I suspect a head job, the right cans and a power commander dyno tuned on would be a pretty useful improvement - probably a new set of cams and even changing out the throttle bodies should be part of the package.
Vince Sunter  ( I'm ready, how about you? ); Check out these Riding Tips: http://tinyurl.com/4x3fk43 ;   Pillioning Tips: http://tinyurl.com/3r5dbz4

Offline ChrisC

• Doggie
Re: Performance upgrade 900 Sport IE 2002
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2010, 05:04 AM »
The lightened flywheel & clutch would make it rev quicker, so you'd feel a more responsive motor.  I don't think it adds HP, but I could stand corrected on that.

I've never heard of anyone putting a 4 valve head on the air-cooled 2 valve motor. Again, I could stand corrected on this, but I think that all the 4 valve Ducatis are water-cooled.

Maybe you should have taken the 848 for a spin?  Comparing it to your bike & the 1198 as well:

The 1198s stats are amazing really - just 1kg heavier than the 848, but 25% more power, and 37% more torque!  That's why it would have felt way too fast - it's a weapon!  ;D
Ducati 848

Offline JBB

• Doggie
Performance upgrade 900 Sport IE 2002
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2010, 03:31 AM »
Hi there fellow Dogs,

Had a ride on 1198S yesterday way too fast. A little bit more performance from the 900 sport IE would come in handy, so my questions are,

a.) What gains will you get from lightened flywheel and lightened clutch (slipper) ?

b.) Can you get 4 valve heads and cams as opposed too standard 2 valve head ?

I have been looking on the net but cannot find any good reliable info. ??? ???

Cheers

John

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Desmoquatros have how many valves per cylinder?:
What colour is the Pirelli on a red Ducati?:
Which arm on a Ducati holds the back wheel on? (first word s...g):