Author Topic: Eastern Creek Trackday - Sat 25 July - interested?  (Read 3299 times)

Offline VinceS

• Pack Leader
  • Gotta enjoy the ups in life, let's go for a ride!
    • Hunter Ducati Owners Group Inc
Re: Eastern Creek Trackday - Sat 25 July - Riding Position
« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2009, 11:38 PM »
Just kinda noticing the details in these pics I would like to respectfully suggest the following 6minute videos could be worthy of review, especially the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxODoscChNo&e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxb5nRufuZ8&NR=1

Personally I find climbing off the seat by more than half an A cheek makes the bike extremely vulnerable to some interesting and relatively uncontrollable dynamics - not just for the reasons stated in the video but because you wind up with two relatively separate masses acting not quite in sync with each other. I tried it a few times because people I thought knew how to ride didn't. Copying people can be a useful technique to enhance skills, but pick the right people! Of course posing for the camera is an entirely different matter - and the two are so easily confused!

Mind you there are worse mistakes to make - see if you can pick which one of these bikes has left their sidestand down (nothing further happens after about 15 seconds when you have the answer!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VkVLdTrk4w
Vince Sunter  ( I'm ready, how about you? ); Check out these Riding Tips: http://tinyurl.com/4x3fk43 ;   Pillioning Tips: http://tinyurl.com/3r5dbz4

Paul Whittaker

Re: Eastern Creek Trackday - Sat 25 July - interested?
« Reply #6 on: 16 Aug 2009, 09:32 PM »
Hey Chris, Top photo's looks awesome, :o :  bad that you dropped it but your very positive and enjoying your self, top stuff....

Offline ChrisC

• Doggie
« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2009, 08:37 PM »
The track day had its good, and its bad.

The Good
Whilst the weather was cold, it was dry. Nothing beats a dry track, except for a warm, dry track!

I was in the Green group (2nd fastest), but took it really easy on the first session.  The bike was running well, but I was only on road tyres (still the Pirelli Supercorsa Pros, which are a damned good tyre for the track). Also, I wasn't using tyre warmers, so was mindful of the cold track, the cold tyres, and that "first session" red mist that seems to plague so many people.

The second session I started to give it its head towards the end, and clocked a reasonable time (1:53).  Even better for the third session, where I got down to 1:50 (my best time there is 1:48).

Here's some photos that a fellow Ducati rider took.  They're on Turn 2, which is one of the slowest corners on the track (2nd gear material).

The Bad

About half-way through the fourth session, I lost the front end coming in to turn 2, and low-sided the bike.  I'm not sure what the cause was - I know I wasn't on the brakes at the time, so I guess I was just pushing it too hard for the tyres and track?  More than likely there's a skill (or lack thereof) element too - who knows, it could be related to position on the bike, or maybe the wrong line.

Relatively minimal damage done, thankfully, but that was my day over.  All up, the damage comes to:

• A broken footpeg (have another on the way now - $100)
  • Srapes and holes in my track fairings (I'm getting good at repairing these - remember, I went down on the RHS on Easter Monday, and now I have to repair the LHS)
  • A broken clutch lever (I hated this lever anyhow - it was a cheapy off ebay, and felt spongy. I have another set of Brembo levers that are going on now)
  • A bent handlebar (Already have a couple of spares, so no big deal there)
  • A few scuff marks on the water pump. :(

Where To Next?

As I said in another post, I'm keeping this bike as a track bike now.  All of the road gear is safely stored in the garage, for when I want to (one day) put it back in road form & go for a blat.

I'll now get some slicks mounted, and will buy a set of tyre warmers.  That means that I WON'T be riding if it's damp (don't enjoy damp tracks anyhow).

I'm also getting some kevlar case covers for the bike, so that there's no more scuffs!

Hoping to get down to Phillip Island in November - there's a potential to do three trackdays back-to-back!  8)

Ducati 848

Paul Whittaker

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2009, 08:27 PM »
Hey Chris,
How did the track day go, was it a big turn up, still waiting on the pic's   ;D

Offline ChrisC

• Doggie
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2009, 05:24 AM »
Well the bike's loaded, and I'm about to hit the freeway.  Very much looking forward to this one!  I'll take some pics.  ;)
Ducati 848

Offline JBB

• Doggie
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2009, 10:02 AM »
Hi Chris,

Just got new tyres on my bike after wrecking a set from doing track day and superbike school.

NOT KEEN

However I am keen for a ride this Sunday if anyone is ineterested???

Cheers

John

Offline ChrisC

• Doggie
Eastern Creek Trackday - Sat 25 July - interested?
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2009, 07:44 PM »
I couldn't help myself - I've booked in to another trackday at Eastern Creek, on Saturday 25 July.

Any Ducati riders interested in going down for the day?  If so, let me know, we could share a lift. I'll be getting a van for the day.

I understand there's quite a few Ducatis booked in - some through DOC NSW.  There are a few guys that I've ridden with before who'll be grabbing a garage, so there'll be plenty of friendly banter and track-side tales.

I just booked in through the Eastern Creek site. $209.  I'll be in the green (B1) group.  White (C) still has quite a few spots left, and Yellow (B2) is filling fast.  If you're *really* feeling frisky, there are also spots in Red (A).

Here's the link: http://www.easterncreekridedays.com.au/product.php?cat_id=2&bookingid=141&w_flag=0

If you haven't tried a trackday yet - this could be for you!
Ducati 848

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Surname of famous local MotoGP rider Casey (S....):
What colour is the Pirelli on a red Ducati?:
What does the D in Hunter DOG stand for?: