Author Topic: National BEARS Championship Round 2 - Broadford Vic  (Read 8431 times)

Offline Brett

• Pack Leader
    • Hunter Ducati Owner's Group
National BEARS Championship Round 2 - Broadford Vic
« Reply #1 on: 09 Jun 2009, 09:26 PM »
Apologies for the delay on this, I have had some posting problems of late.

From Darren himself, but I was there for this one, just to validate it...

The second round of the National BEARs (British, European and American Racing) machines was held at the Broadford State Sports Complex in Victoria, in conjunction with the 2009 Victorian Historic Championships.

Jay Normoyle on the well presented 1098R was the only F1 bike to turn up, so the focus was on the well contested F2 class and the top 5 had a titanic battle all weekend.

Our team hadn’t been to the circuit for some 15 years, but after a few practice sessions on the Friday the 848 was on the pace. The track supplied plenty of grip so we kept using the old tyres from Eastern Creek, saving the new ones for Sunday.
The first race on Saturday was red flagged and restarted as Chris Panayi had a huge highside on lap 2. It was Jay in the lead, then Chris and I had a birds eye view behind him. As he was exiting turn 1 he lost the back end and was thrown over the bars in spectacular fashion. He was knocked out and received some soft tissue damage. He was taken to hospital for observation and I believe he is OK now.

The restart had Jay get the start on the 1098R with me trying my best to stay with him. The 848 was no match for the outright horsepower of the big 1198cc Ducati, but I could hold on to him in the tight turns of the Broadford circuit and then see him just blast away down the straight. Formula 2 is my class, so I just needed to ensure that I concentrated on the class win. Paul Bailey debuted the Buell 1125R 14 seconds behind in 3rd.

Race 2, and I was about 5th into turn 1, and had to make some passing moves to get back to the front. Broadford lends itself to some exciting racing and race 2 showed that with Jonathan Riley (Ducati 848) running off dicing with Paul on the Buell. Once again Jay stormed off on the 1098R, and I came home second outright, and 1st in F2, scoring a new lap record for the class.

We fitted a new rear tyre on for Sunday but still used the same front that had done a total of 71 laps and still looked good. So another not so good start with Paul Bailey actually holeshotting off into the lead but only for a short while as Jay and I went past on the 1st lap and cleared away. I tried to hold on to the 1098R and got down to my fasted time of the weekend and another new lap record for the F2 class at 1:02.331. 3 starts, 3 wins in F2.

The last race of the day and we could all see the clouds roll in, and then at the 5 minute call it started to rain. So we pulled up to the start line and drops of rain on the visor, with slick tyres on, doesn’t give you the best feeling. We all took it fairly easy on the first lap, and surprisingly enough, there was some grip out there, so we pressed on and come home safe with another 2nd outright and F2 win.

So that’s 8 wins from 8 starts, and the 848 was just a dream to ride all weekend. We sit 59 points ahead of Jonathan Riley on another 848, seems to be the bike to have in Formula 2!

We head to Winton Raceway in May for the 3rd round of the National BEARS title where we get the chance to show our style on SBS Speedweek and repeats on FOX 1,2,3 and HD.

As usual I wouldn’t have been able to contest and have all this fun without the generous support of the following.

FRASER MOTORCYCLES DUCATI NEWCASTLE
TUFFN UP BOXING AND FITNESS
SYDNEY CUSTOM SPRAYPAINTING
SHIFT MOTORCYCLE CLOTHING
MOTO MASTER BRAKE PARTS
SHOEI HELMETS, SIDI BOOTS
MOTOW MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
TUBBY SIGNS
SHELL LUBRICANTS
SPORTCYCLES DYNO
BEARS MOTORCYCLE RACING AUSTRALIA
HUNTER DOGS
NF IMPORTERS
Special thanks to Andrew Korlaki Photography for the great snaps. www.korlaki.com

Lewis Racing Team at the Broadford was;

Brett Roberts, Neil Macartney and Andy Baird

Fun first, if you can’t win be spectacular!

Bow to the flag marshals!

Lewis Racing Team gives our most heart warming condolences to the Greedy family at this difficult time.

DARREN LEWIS
Branch Manager

Fraser Motorcycles Newcastle Pty Ltd
137 Lambton Rd Broadmeadow NSW 2292
Ph (02) 4935 9800   Fax (02) 4935 9899
Mvlti svnt vocati, pavci vero electi

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Which country are Ducatis manufactured in?:
Desmoquatros have how many valves per cylinder?:
A Ducati's back wheel is usually driven by a c....: