Author Topic: National BEARS Championship 2009 - Round 1  (Read 1495 times)

Offline VinceS

• Pack Leader
  • Gotta enjoy the ups in life, let's go for a ride!
    • Hunter Ducati Owners Group Inc
National BEARS Championship 2009 - Round 1
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2009, 11:40 PM »
For some reason Brett is having difficulty posting this. So I am trying, and if it works Brett can add the photo!

NATIONAL BEARS EASTERN CREEK FEB 09

ROUND ONE              HOT/SUNNY Track Temp around 63 C

DARREN LEWIS NAILS 4 FROM 4 IN FORMULA 2 ON THE DUCATI 848

A huge field of BEARS bikes lined up for the first round of the Nationals in sweltering conditions at Eastern Creek Raceway.
As usual the variety of motorcycles was broad with some new comers on exotic machinery like the beautifully presented 1098S of Michael Fraser and the Australian race debut of the 1198S in the hands of young gun Beau Beaton.

Last year we ran the 848 straight off the showroom with a bit of tuning and fitted racing slicks, so this year we sent the suspension away to get some upgrades and changed to the ultra sticky Dunlop N Tech racing slicks and boy did we get some improvements.

The end of qualifying had us in 6th position with only Formula 1 bikes ahead and with a progressive grid over the weekend I was optimistic for front row starts.

So race one and I still wasn’t sure about getting it off the line too well and didn’t. We fought through the pack to 4th outright and to top place in Formula 2. Michael Fraser took the win from Beau Beaton in Formula 1. The 4th place gave us a front row start for Sunday morning.

I received some tips on getting the 848 off the line and it worked a treat, neck and neck to turn one with Beau; (although he was on the back wheel all the way). This gave me the opportunity to get a tow at the front from the 1198. Beau cleared away and I settled in to a rhythm and on the last lap set my fastest time of 1:40.058. We got down to 39’s in testing but couldn’t quite get there this weekend.

2nd outright and 1st in F2;

From there we moved to second on the grid with the next race pretty much a carbon copy of the previous one.  So we ended the day 2nd outright and first in Formula 2, the Ducati 848 was just superb and all we did was put fuel in it and cleaned it all weekend. Always a good day at the races when you win all your races and you put the bike back in the trailer unmarked.

4 wins from 4 starts and leading the National Formula 2 Championship. Very cool!

Congratulations must go to Beau Beaton on a great debut for the 1198S and he will take some beating this year. Sorry to see Michael Fraser have some machinery problems but he will be back for the next round with the bit between the teeth.
This race meeting was one of the most organized I have been involved in and congrats must go to Terry and the team at Formula Xtreme.

We head to Broadford in Victoria for the next round of the Nationals at the end of March. A track day or two before hand might have to be on the cards!

As always we couldn’t have had all this fun and enjoyment without the generous help and assistance of the following good Samaritans.

FRASER MOTORCYCLES DUCATI NEWCASTLE
TUFFN UP BOXING AND FITNESS
SYDNEY CUSTOM SPRAYPAINTING
SHIFT MOTORCYCLE CLOTHING
MOTO MASTER BRAKE PERTS
SHOEI HELMETS
MOTOW MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
TUBBY SIGNS
SHELL LUBRICANTS
SPORTCYCLES DYNO
BEARS MOTORCYCLE RACING AUSTRALIA
HUNTER DOGS
NF IMPORTERS
Lewis Racing Team at the Creek was;
Neil Macartney, Derek Morton, his mates Mick and Tony, The Colonel and Henry.

Fun first, if you can’t win be spectacular!

Bow to the flag marshals!

DARREN LEWIS
Vince Sunter  ( I'm ready, how about you? ); Check out these Riding Tips: http://tinyurl.com/4x3fk43 ;   Pillioning Tips: http://tinyurl.com/3r5dbz4

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
If you apply the Brembos from stationary how many seconds before you will stop again if the bike has a 0-100km/hr time of 3.2 secs and can stop in 4 secs?:
An idling 1098S that does 0-100km/hr in 3.2secs is travelling at how many km/hr?:
How many riders can a Ducati 1198 Panigale fit comfortably?: