Author Topic: Ducati Demo Day - Fraser Motorcycles Newcastle - February 28  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Brett

• Pack Leader
    • Hunter Ducati Owner's Group
I've already had the lecture from my wife and her mother...

So James, now that I know you're alright, I think that you should seriously consider what Nic and her mother have said, they sound like smart people, and let me take that PS with the dodgy frame off your hands, before you hurt someone...

You coming for a ride on Sunday ?  You could always borrow a bike from Frasers...
Mvlti svnt vocati, pavci vero electi

AstroDog

You know Scott, when I was in the crapper at work the other day and reading an old motorcycle magazine (can't remember which) there was an article about a guy that had lost his entire left arm just below the shoulder.  I don't recall if it was an industrial accident or a motorcycle accident, but it prooves that which encouragement and motivation, anybody can achieve anything.  I'll try to remember which stall that mag was in and steal it for you (shit fumes and all) so that you can vent it out and then read the article.

It was great to see you over the weekend.  But it was very hard all afternoon on Sunday.  I was thinking about how your feeling and seeing that you are having trouble with your current situation which is of course only temporary.  I'm positive that many people would have trouble dealing with seeing you still in your chair and not knowing how to make you feel better and fit in with what you used to enjoy.

For the time being, try not to get so down on yourself not being able to ride a motorcycle and try to find some things that your passionate about and can spend some time doing.  Focus on your metal state of mind and everything else will follow.

There is a real true story about a guy called Douglas Bader who was a pilot in the RAF prior to the war.  He was in the aerobatic display team and "showed off" one too many times and crashed his plane and lost both his legs just below the knee.  Against all odds, he learnt to walk again, just like anybody else, and became a professional golfer.  He also got his wings back with the RAF and went on to fly fighter planes in the battle of Brittain.  He was later captured by the Germans and he actually very nearly escaped. All with a pair of tin legs.

If you have a VCR I will bring the video around for you to see (including a copy of STONE for you)

I know you can work towards getting back to your old self.  We all miss getting to joke about with you and having fun. 

I look faward to see you back at home, and being just around the corner, i'll come and have a beer with you more often.  We could have a race, your chair against me on Olivia's "Casey Stoner's" GP 07 replica pocket bike!  I'll have the handicap that no doubt I'll have had 1 too many beers.

See you soon buddy.

Offline TopDOG

• Pack Leader
  • Let's go for a ride soon, I'm up for it - how about you?
    • Hunter Ducati Owners Group
At least james you were allowed to and still can ride a ducati post crash unlike this bloke but you live and you learn im happy just to listen to that v-twin sound of my wifes bike riding away every weekend or weekday if she has time or is convinced to by her mum por desmo or any of the groers and i dont blame her as i gave her the passion to ride but cant ever anymore until they invent the one armed ten ninety eight R!!! :-\
Ducati is number 1, all others are number 2 or lower

Offline ChrisC

• Doggie
Thanks for the update, James!

We're all watching and waiting now, you know.  We want to see how good your negotiation skills are!  (If they're any good, perhaps you could give some of the rest of us some lessons, eh?)

Best of luck with the Finance Committee.
Ducati 848

AstroDog

Just an update to my experience of crashing a Fraser's demo machine.

I got the phone call from Darren today.  He first of all asked how I was. Which of course I am fine. Last Saturday Darren was hopeful that the cost to repair would be less than the insurance excess.  I was sceptical, but at that time high on adrenaline. I had no idea what the bike looked like seconds after handing it back.  I was in shock that I had damaged someone elses machine and a Ducati at that.  While I won't disclose the total cost of the repair, I ended up paying the full insurance excess this afternoon.

Darren was extremely professional and friendly about the whole ordeal.  I was rather stressed about crashing someone elses machine.  Darren was so kind as to allow an inspection of the machine and for some photographs to be taken as posterity and a reminder to keep my testosterone in check.

I'm regretful that the machine will be "taking a rest" for a little while.

In short, while the experience was expensive, (for both me and the insurance company) I can say that Fraser Motorcycles dealt with the sitution very well.  I now feel obliged to buy a new bike.  I'm still working on the finance committee!  I'll have to wait for that end of financial year bonus to arrive now.

AstroDog

Cheers Chris, we live and learn.  I shouldn't be doing this shit in my 30's with two young girls.  I've already had the lecture from my wife and her mother.  The Motard was very deceptive indeed.  Very enjoyable while it lasted.  In fact I did get an exceptional deal at Fraser's a few weeks before bike but my wife would not allow a fouth bike in the garage.  I was test riding just to see how much the "I have to have" factor was so I could decide wether to push the finance committee.  I think I'll wait till this blows over and try for the 1098S or 1198S.  Shame that the 1198S doesn't have the nice black wheels with the red pin stripe.

Offline ChrisC

• Doggie
Ouch! 

You could always buy the bike "as is", you know...  you might get a discount!  ;D

Those Hypers are deceptive.  Large motor in a motard style frame - they're a wheelie factory!  I test rode one, but thought that I'd lose my license on it, so bought the 848 instead.  :D

Hope you heal quickly and the bill's not too big!  :o
Ducati 848

AstroDog

Hey fair go Brett.  That goose WAS me!

Yep,  just a bit too much throttle and lack of concentration. Panic and then too much front brake.  Believe me.  I was head down in shame and I'll have a hefty insurance excess to pay out.  Very sore and stiff by the time I got home. Stiches in my forearm where the aparrel leather jacket tore through. Big black bruise on my left hip and thigh.  Believe me, I felt terrible, not for me but for Darren and those that could not ride the machine that day.  And to all those people I am very sorry.

We all make mistakes. We've all done it or very nearly lost our machines to a split second loss of concentration whislt being carried away in the moment.

Offline Brett

• Pack Leader
Actually made it down there for the ride(s) on Saturday and it was a bit of an eye opener.

I'd wanted to ride the Hypermotard, but some goose destroyed it in a previous session.  How that happens on a test ride,  without being hit by someone else, will probably remain a mystery.

Did get to ride the S4R Monster and the new 1100 Monster.  Talk about chalk and cheese.  I know it doesn't make much sense, but the new 1100 felt like it could tow the the S4 faster than it'd go. 

The ride route was via Blackbutt and down the bypass / link road, to the Hillsborough on / off ramps, and back again, which gave a great contrast in riding conditions.  The rides were well organised on the hour and you got to sample almost anything in the fleet ( sans Desmosedici ).

Well done to the guys at Frasers for providing on a great opportunity, and with free cool refreshments ( yep, it was warm ), made it a great day all around.

If you haven't been, try and get to one ?  You may just find your next (b)ride...

Be good.  Ride safe.

Offline ChrisC

• Doggie
I'd love to test the Desmosedici!  Where do I sign up???
Ducati 848

Offline Brett

• Pack Leader
Ducati Demo Day - Fraser Motorcycles Newcastle - February 28
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2009, 05:15 PM »
That's right, you can test ride the entire Ducati range including the new Monster 1100.

More here ;

http://www.frasermotorcycles.com.au/ducati/

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What colour is the Pirelli on a red Ducati?:
Which arm on a Ducati holds the back wheel on? (first word s...g):
How many riders can a Ducati 1198 Panigale fit comfortably?: