Author Topic: National BEARS Championship - Final Round - Phillip Island 2008  (Read 768 times)

Offline Brett

• Pack Leader
    • Hunter Ducati Owner's Group
Final race report of the season from Darren ( and congratulations to him on a great result ) ;

Final Round Bears Nationals Phillip Island 2008 DRY/SUNNY

Hi Everyone,

The final round of the National Bears Title was held at Phillip Island on November 15-17 in conjunction with the East Coast Road Race Series and The Victorian Road Race Titles. The East Coast crew did a great job of organizing the event as over 180 entries where received, 53 of them BEARS. It was great to get back to the best track in the world as I hadn't been there since 1997, apart from the CBR1000RR08 launch some 6 moths ago.

PRACTICE/QUALIFYING

We went out in the first session and cut some good laps on some old tyres in practice then towards the end of the day threw some new tyres at it ready for qualifying.
Qualifying went well as we ended up on the 3rd row with a gaggle of 1098 rockets ahead. No sense taking too many risks as the grid positions are progressive throughout the weekend. So where you finish in the race is where you start in the next.

RACE 1

Had a great dice with Phil Graves and Beau Beaton race long with Phil having a front end lose at turn two right in front of me. I managed to come from 12th to 9th outright and 1st Formula 2 bike across the line keeping a few 1098’s behind me. As mentioned before, it's progressive grid so we started marching to the pointy end of the field.

RACE 2

Started from 9th in this race and got a pretty good start about 5th into turn 2, then got rounded up by some of the Formula 1 bikes. Had another dice with Beau for a few laps and then he got away from me. I had a lonely last few laps without any troubles and finished 9th outright and 1st in Formula 2 securing the Formula 2 lap record at Phillip Island, beating the existing time by 3.175 seconds.

RACE 3 (epic)

Into turn 2 in 5th place and right up there with the top guys and sliding around a bit. The 848 is such a fantastic bike through the turns and loves it up through the hay shed where I could pass the bigger bikes up into Lukey or hold them off if I was in front of them. On the 3rd lap and I was still up there, we were exiting Honda corner and Damian Sutton had a huge tank slapper on the 1098 and just before Siberia he was spat off in front of me, barrel rolling down the track and was ok. I was able to take evasive action and miss him. The race was red flagged, so we came back in and then went back to the start. As I pulled up to take my position the fuel light came on and that doesn't give you much confidence before a race. So off we went again and got the same good start, but I had this fuel light staring at me so I just went for it. On the last lap the bike started to surge at turn 4 then again at MG. Once I got out of MG I was hoping I could make it to the checkered flag and did with Phil Graves bearing down on me. I ran out of fuel at turn 1 after the finish, 6th outright and again 1st in Formula 2. 3 from 3.

RACE 4

Got a terrible start from row 2, back in about 18th and got a few places back at T2 and then into Honda corner went passed a couple more then got up to about 10th through the hay shed. 3 laps in and another red flag and a bit more serious with 2 guys tangling through turn 3 and they didn't move for a while. They both were taken to hospital with broken bones and broken bikes. This time we made sure we had enough fuel for the second leg of this race which was shortened to 5 laps then they combined the first 3 laps and ad the times together. So I got a much better start in the restart and had a pretty lonely race to end up 6th outright and 1st in Formula 2.

LAST RACE

Late in the afternoon and 4th into turn 1, with the wear indicators not showing on the tyres, I decided to take it a bit easy but if you're a racer you now as soon as someone shows you a wheel or passes you, it's on! My old mate from SA, Greg Pitt was having a go on the 1098S and we had some good dices. The bike was all over the place but it was fun sliding on to the straight and through the back section and squirmed and slid my way home to 5th outright and 1st again in Formula 2. CLEAN SWEEP, 5 from 5 and a new BEARS Formula 2 lap record.

Next year we will do all 5 rounds and win the Formula 2 National Title.

SPONSORS NEEDED!!!!!!!

Shout Outs go to,

SHOEI Helmets
MOTOW Motorcycle Transport
SYDNEY CUSTOM Spray Painting
TUBBY SIGNS
SHELL Lubricants
BEARS Australian Motorcycle Racing Club
SPORTCYCLES Motorcycle Dyno
NF Importers
Fraser Motorcycles Newcastle
SHIFT Motorcycle Clothing
TEAM LEWIS for Phillip Island was;
Kim, Neil, Andy, Anthony, Devo, Larene.

Many Thanks

DARREN LEWIS
Mvlti svnt vocati, pavci vero electi

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What colour is the Pirelli on a red Ducati?:
An idling 1098S that does 0-100km/hr in 3.2secs is travelling at how many km/hr?:
Name one thing starting with D that you would love to ride?: