Author Topic: National BEARS Championship - Round 4 - Macnamara Park SA Sep 08  (Read 839 times)

Offline Brett

• Pack Leader
    • Hunter Ducati Owner's Group
Another comprehensive, first hand Ducati race report from Darren ;

Hi Everyone,

Macnamara Park, just 10 minutes from Mt Gambier South Australia saw the 4th round of the National Bears in conjunction with the South Australian Championships and the Master of Mac Park.
It’s a long drive and to rock up with the weather report looking dismal it was a bit disappointing as we all love racing in the dry. We had the wets ready but to try and predict what the weather was going to do was near impossible. It even caught the locals out.
So the first practice session on Friday was dry so I got a chance to learn the track, being a first timer. Coming from the Creek and PI, it was pretty daunting on the 848 as the track is narrow and with little run off so I took it easy and did as much learning as possible.

QUALIFYING
The timing system wasn’t working so we had to race for our grid positions, so they lined us up according to the Championship points standings which put me 8th on the grid (I have only contested 1 round). I got a good start and worked my way up to 3rd and secured a front row start.

RACE 1 SATURDAY
Down come the rain and as the track had great grip and the rain was intermittent I decided to race on proddy tyres. WRONG! Bagged it up off the line and had no grip, sliding through every corner, tippy toeing my way around in about 10th from the start. A dry line started to appear and I made my way up to 6th place.

RACE 2 SATURDAY
We started from the second row this time and were starting to link all the corners up for the first time. Bikes like the peaky Triumph 675 and the Ducati Hypermotard suited this track down to the ground and were proving difficult to pass on the tight and twisty Mac Park circuit. These races are only 6 lappers so you need to get a good start and not get held up if you want to contest up the front. . So it rained then it fined up then it rained and then it fined up again all in a space of 45 minutes. So we made the decision to run slicks so we put the wheels in and waited for the call to grid up. Well of course it rained again and over the speaker we heard that the race was abandoned to be held Sunday. 10 minutes later the sun comes out and the stewards decide to run the race. Ok, so off the start and into turn one and it is always hectic to say the least, 3 abreast, elbows and knees everywhere, through turn one and settle in to 5th place. Rather than bin the thing, I just circulated around in fifth place and finished there and happy to get through the day unscathed.

RACE 3 SUNDAY
After sitting around the table Saturday night with a photo of the circuit and cutting 1000 laps discussing the fast way around the track we decided to change the gearing before this race to make the 848 a bit smoother through the tight turns. The weather Sunday morning was a carbon copy of Saturday so we had wets and slicks ready to go in to the bike 10 minutes before the race was to start. Starting from 5th on the grid I got a good start and was up in to 4th. I sat behind the Hypermotard for a few laps and knew that I had the legs on him down the shoot. The 2 leaders were getting away so on the 3rd lap I tried to make a pass at the end of the back straight, went underneath him at high speed and lost the front end. I picked it up on the knee slider but was too late and ran off, flat out in 4th gear across the grass with the tree line coming up fast, only to plough into the sand trap, over the handle bars, through the screen and flat on my back. Not hurt and the bike suffered only a broken screen and a small scratch but was full of sand so I waited to be picked up to go back and repair and clean. DNF.

RACE 4 SUNDAY
Arriving back in the pits, helpers swarmed on the bike and we had it stripped, cleaned and taped up ready for the last race in 25 minutes. With a DNF I was banished to the rear of the grid and a long way back. Off the start and into turn one, squeezed it up the inside and I was up into about 8th place. I began picking off people one by one and managed to get up to 5th place but with only 6 laps the front runners had disappeared from view, so 5th from the back of the grid was ok.

We head to Phillip Island in November for the last round so we should be up the front given we have the right bike for the track and I have spent a lot of time at the Island and love the track.

Thanks to the following for your assistance,

SYDNEY CUSTOM SPRAYPAINTING
MOTOW Motorcycle transport
SHOEI Helmets
TUBBY SIGNS
SHELL Lubricants
BEARS Australian Motorcycle Racing Club
SPORTSCYCLES Dyno
NF Importers
FRASERS DUCATI NEWCASTLE

Regards,

DARREN LEWIS
Mvlti svnt vocati, pavci vero electi

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Surname of famous local MotoGP rider Casey (S....):
How many valves in a 2 valve plus a 4 valve motor (one cylinder of each)?:
What is the 6th letter in Ducati?: