Author Topic: Australian Superbike Chamionship - Ducati Race Report - Tasmania  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Brett

• Pack Leader
    • Hunter Ducati Owner's Group
Now to be just slightly Ducati biased ( as I like / tend to be ) I have pleasure in relaying some mail I recieved this week ;

McMartin takes 8 in Tassie!

Australian Superbike Championship, Rd6, Symmons Plains Raceway, Launceston, Tasmania, Sunday, August 31.

Craig McMartin, riding the Ricoh Business Centre/Carbonize Racing Ducati 1098S, took an unprecedented 8th consecutive championship in the Pro Twins class at the penultimate round of the Australian Superbike Championships held at Tasmania’s Symmons Plains circuit this weekend, 29 – 31 August 2008.

McMartin, riding the Ricoh Business Centre/Carbonize Racing 1098S, again dominated the Pro Twins class, taking 3 wins from 3 starts after taking pole position with a time of 56.6, 1.5 sec clear of Daniel Wheeler (Ducati 1098S). McMartin took the win in race one, 11.5 sec clear of Adrian Pierpoint (Benelli TNT) with Daniel Wheeler finishing in 3rd position. Race two was held in wet conditions on Sunday morning and, despite the treacherous conditions, it was business as usual for McMartin as he took the win, 5.8 sec clear of Beau McKenzie (Yamaha FZ6) and Neil Webster (Yamaha FZ1). McMartin again dominated in the final outing of the weekend on Sunday afternoon, taking the win from Daniel Wheeler and Mick Johnston (Ducati 1098S). McMartin now holds an unbeatable 100 point lead going into the final round of the series at Sydney’s Eastern Creek Raceway in 7 weeks time. 

McMartin also competed in the highly competitive Superbike class on the new Ducati 1098R and despite having very little preparation time aboard the new machine, McMartin was able to qualify on the 3rd row of the grid with a time of 55.1sec. The riders were welcomed to the circuit on Sunday morning with wet and treacherous conditions and during the morning warm up session, McMartin was able to show his speed in the tough conditions, clocking the sixth fastest time. With conditions drying before race one, McMartin had to change his settings on the 1098R at the last minute. McMartin got off to a good start and was fighting for position in the top ten, however as the race went on he was unable to maintain his pace and was forced to retire from the race. After making changes to the setting on the 1098R, McMartin started the second race in the afternoon in sunny conditions and was quickly on the pace, fighting for position with Superbike class regulars Jon Cartwright (Yamaha R1) and Trent Gibson (Suzuki GSXR). McMartin eventually prevailed over Gibson to finish in 9th position, close behind Cartwright.

McMartin and the Ricoh Business Centre/Carbonize Race Team were very happy with the results from the weekend with McMartin saying, “It’s been a tough weekend for us, competing in both the Pro Twins class and also the Superbike class on the new Ducati 1098R but we have worked hard all weekend and we’re very happy with our results. Taking the Pro Twins championship with one round to go is great and now I can go into the final round at Eastern Creek in a more relaxed mood and have some fun. Despite being unable to finish race one, we’re still happy with our results in the Superbike class on the new 1098R, apart from the exhaust the bike is still standard off the showroom floor so to be able to fight for position with Jon (Cartwright) and Trent (Gibson) and finish in 9th position is a great result for us. We worked hard all weekend and were able to make improvements to the bike each time we went out, so it just goes to show how good the Ducati 1098R is off the show-room floor! I would like to thank Nick from Teknik Racing for all his hard work tuning the suspension over the weekend and I would also like to thank Brad from Carbonize for his efforts over the weekend, I couldn’t have got these results without them. I would also like to thank Ricoh Business Centre – Sydney, Carbonize Road & Race, Brisbane Motorcycles, Ducati Adelaide and QBE Insurance for making this weekend possible.”

Craig McMartin now leads the Pro Twins Championship with 400 points from Daniel Wheeler (300 points), while Mick Johnston holds down 3rd position on 281 points. Craig’s next outing on the Ricoh Business Centre/Carbonize Racing 1098S and 1098R will be at Sydney’s Eastern Creek Raceway - 17-19th October 2008.

Craig would like thank Ricoh Business Centre – Sydney, Carbonize Road & Race, Brisbane Motorcycles, Ducati Adelaide and QBE Insurance for there support in 2008. Craig would also like to thank Gimoto Leathers, Cut Grafix, Teknik Suspension, PB Smash Repairs Nowra, Speedymoto, Draggin Jeans, RK  Takasago Chain, Ferrodo Brake Pads, Shell Oils, Ariete Grips & SP Tools and The Hunter Ducati Owner's Group.

Mvlti svnt vocati, pavci vero electi

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Surname of famous local MotoGP rider Casey (S....):
Name one thing starting with D that you would love to ride?:
There is one i in Ducati, how many does "the typical rider" have?: