Author Topic: A Racer in our Midst - And a Club Member to boot...  (Read 1000 times)

spotcom

Re: A Racer in our Midst - And a Club Member to boot...
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2008, 06:51 PM »
Thanks for that.  A great read, and terrific to see Darren and the 848 doing so well!  Gee, I wouldn't mind cracking the 2 minute mark myself - 1:42 is pretty quick!

Offline Brett

• Pack Leader
    • Hunter Ducati Owner's Group
A Racer in our Midst - And a Club Member to boot...
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2008, 03:40 PM »
G'day,

The following is a bit of an update from one of our members, and keen supporter of the club, Darren Lewis, as he shares his unique insight into the options available to run in a new 848 ;

"Hi Everyone,

Just a quick summary of the 3rd round of the National Bears meeting held at Eastern Creek.

We arrived Saturday to a very cold and windy track for practice and waited until the 3rd session for the track to warm up to get some laps in.  I wasn't able to get the drive out of the turns so a quick and easy shock change saw us getting straight into the 1minute 42s.

Sunday morning was qualifying and we were the first cabs off the rank. Again a very cold and windy morning saw qualifying times slower than usual.  After 5 laps the 848 was on the second row, 3rd formula 2 bike out of a 41 strong field.

Race 1 and I wasn't able to get the best of starts as I went into turn 1 about 15th, then dived up the inside and back into about 6th and with the front pack.  To turn 3 and David Butler on the Ducati Penrith 848 lost the front and speared off the track in spectacular fashion causing a red flag and a restart.

Wow, what a first race.

I blew the restart and had to fight with Goold and Hopper then found a comfortable rhythm. I just wanted to finish the race and get some race laps under my belt.  Shane Goold on his tricked up 996 was very hard to pass but eventually I got him down the shoot to take 6th outright and 2nd place in Formula 2.

Race 2 was a quicker pace with a better start and a full on battle with 2 Triumph 675s and boy were they hard to shake. They would dive under me at turns 2 and 9 and the 848 stomped passed down the straights or through the fast turns. Our bike really had some impressive speed for a stock 848 with an exhaust system and a bit of mapping. Standard Showa suspension is also used which will get a bit of a tweak for our next race meeting. Anyhow we ended race 2 with another 6th outright and claimed 1st place in Formula 2.

Race 3 and another delayed start due to a sighting lap crash so we re grid for a second time. I got the usual bad start (need to do some work on that), but I had a good entry into 2 and was up with Mick Johnston and John Lyons for a lap and then got consumed in another huge dice with the 2 Triumphs and Stephen Goold again.  I eventually got them to finish in 7th only to be told that I had jumped the start and received a 10 second penalty. 11th outright and 5th in Formula 2, oh well one more race to go so we fuel up and got ready.

Race 4 saw us get a pretty good start and again Chris Panayi and Dean Holmes on the Triumphs were yapping at my heals. Swapping positions race long until I was able to get Dean on the line with the power of the 848 Ducati. 7th outright and 3rd in Formula 2.

A great debut for us with 6th outright and 1st place in Formula 2 on the Ducati 848, not too bad for my first race back since 1999.

Thanks to the following for your assistance.

SHOEI HELMETS
MOTOW Motorcycle Transport
SYDNEY CUSTOM Spray Painting
TUBBY SIGNS
SHELL Lubricants
BEARS Australia Motorcycle Racing Club
NF Importers
Fraser Ducati Newcastle
Sportcycles Dyno
Neil Macartney
The Lewis family.

DARREN LEWIS
General Manager
Fraser Motorcycles Newcastle"
Mvlti svnt vocati, pavci vero electi

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Surname of famous local MotoGP rider Casey (S....):
Desmoquatros have how many valves per cylinder?:
There is one i in Ducati, how many does "the typical rider" have?: