Author Topic: Nervous about fuel on a ride...  (Read 1691 times)

AstroDog

Re: Nervous about fuel on a ride...
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2008, 10:50 PM »
G'day Len, It sound's like your ECU isn't setup right.  I have a PS100 with the 2 into 1 termi and the DP ECU and I don't get any fuel smell from the pipe.  Although, my fuel range is still only about 225kms.  When the ECU was swapped out and the exhaust changed, it should have been setup to re-set the Throttle position sensor reading in the computer (this is the main sensor that informs the ECU how much fuel to inject).  I have the PC computer software that communicates with the ECU (similar to the Ducati DDS but at $8000 less). With the software you can check/adjust all sorts of things including re-setting the Throttle Position Sensor and fine tuning the air/fuel ratio.

I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment, but give me a few weeks and I'd be more than happy to have a look at your setup for you at no cost to you.  If you go on the club ride on the 20th have a yarn to Vince about it.  Unfortunately I won't be able to make it that weekend as I'll be unpacking the truck.

Regards james.

LenM

« Reply #3 on: 04 Apr 2008, 11:34 AM »
Ta Vince
a club rise sounds like heaps of fun. I don't know if she smells too bad while following it but while warming it up and sitting at the lights it isn't pleasant. On the subject of thrashing I haven't been riding long (very late starter & turning 40 this year) so I'm not very good yet so I tend to take it easy. Have done one track day at Eastern Creek where I feel I learned a lot about the bike. This model isn't very fast, previously I had a Z1000 which was a bit scary if you got stuck in with 130ps @ rear wheel. I like my new Ducati much better.

I have wondered if the old ECU will work with the new pipes so I can keep the sound or if the race ECU can be reprogrammed. I think it assumes that because its aircooled and a race ECU it needs to dump extra fuel in to cool it down all the time because it should be being thrashed...?! Thanks for the reply any other posts are welcome.
Regards
Len

Offline VinceS

• Pack Leader
  • Gotta enjoy the ups in life, let's go for a ride!
    • Hunter Ducati Owners Group Inc
« Reply #2 on: 03 Apr 2008, 10:25 PM »
Fuel won't be a drama Len, this is social riding and 120k's would be tops for a leg. Just scratching my memory for the various routes I think the biggest day is a 350km lap, more usually it is under 300k's which is typically under 3.5 hours total riding, and 2 hours (or so) sitting round enjoying the company. Excessive fuel usage is a topic of merit, but don't rely on getting an answer you can use - my offer is if you say you don't thrash it, you should try thrashing it ;D! Probably the only real issue is if the smell is noticeable you will find people drop back or overtake.
Vince Sunter  ( I'm ready, how about you? ); Check out these Riding Tips: http://tinyurl.com/4x3fk43 ;   Pillioning Tips: http://tinyurl.com/3r5dbz4

LenM

Nervous about fuel on a ride...
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr 2008, 03:43 PM »
Hi All
I haven't been on a club ride with you all yet but want to soon now we're out of cricket season. I have a Sport 1000 with Termignoni exhausts and race ECU but fuel light comes on at 150km and would hate to run out of petrol on a ride with everyone, most embarrassing...do people stop for fuel or am I the only one with this small a range or does this sound unusual? I don't thrash the bike by any means. It used to go 270km before light came on, now whether it's at Eastern Creek or round Newcastle and Maitland @ 150km give or take a precious few Kays on comes the light!

There is an aweful lot of unburnt fuel coming out of the pipes, it smells very strongly of petrol. The sound is nice though. Please let me know what you reckon.
Regards
Len