Author Topic: 10-13 June 2016 Long Weekend Ride to Grenfell Henry Lawson Festival  (Read 821 times)

Offline VinceS

• Pack Leader
  • Gotta enjoy the ups in life, let's go for a ride!
    • Hunter Ducati Owners Group Inc
(Sent out to All as an Announced Topic)

If you can take the Friday off why not get the Duke out and do something enjoyable and different this Queen’s Birthday June long weekend? Bring the missus, a kid or just yourself and join us on Fri 10th to Mon 13th June 2016 for the Henry Lawson Festival in Grenfell - see www.henrylawsonfestival.com.au. I have been to this festival a few times over the years. It is pretty big and very unique, and a remarkably feel-good experience.

The plan is to leave Cessnock Woolworths Caltex by 9am Fri 10th, which is on the main road (Wollombi Rd) on the right just past the centre of town lights (Vincent St / Allandale Rd) heading towards Wollombi. It is 108km via the back roads to Denman for morning tea at Glaze or Carobs café + fuel. Then 237km going the scenic route via Bylong & Sofala to Bathurst for lunch. Finally 199km of more back roads to Grenfell – ie Neville & Gooloogong which are all tar roads I have travelled before. See below for detailed route maps.

Both food stops will be at / very near venues which serve gluten free food for anyone that needs it. The Royal Hotel at Denman and the Royal Society Café at Bathurst are both acclaimed for their gf offerings. Both are great venues, the Bathurst one especially - see www.lionmajestic.com.au/royal-society-cafe/ where we will stop and enjoy their great views, and lunch menu!

Fri & Sat nights Kellie and I, and another couple on a Triumph, are staying at Grenfell Hall - see http://go.grenfell.org.au/grenfellhall/. If they are full check out the range of accomm at www.henrylawsonfestival.com.au/general-information/accommodation as there are lots of nice places to stay in Grenfell, but don’t leave booking it too long as they will all fill up. If you want more than just a touristy kind of experience, put an entry in too; see www.henrylawsonfestival.com.au/news/competition-entry-forms - there’s still plenty of time for that!

We will stop half way back at Lurline House in Katoomba - see www.lurlinehouse.com.au. Katoomba has lots of good accomm - see https://www.google.com.au/search?q=katoomba+accommodation. It is always pleasant sunny riding weather in the middle of winter and I expect this one to be no different. But we are going regardless as there is an open fireplace at every destination, although a bit of “route trimming” could happen if the weather demands it…

The Henry Lawson festival website currently has a blend of 2015 and 2016 info listed – obviously a detail they haven’t quite tidied up. But don’t think www issues are anything to judge the event by – it is a unique well supported festival and we will have a good time, which has been my experience the 3 times I have gone prior. This particular Sunday morning event  is an absolute beauty: www.henrylawsonfestival.com.au/events-and-entertainment/events-and-activities/poetry-in-the-park. It finishes up around 11:30am, after which we will travel the 286km to Katoomba. Then it is 218km back to Newcastle on Monday, going via Berowra ferry to add a bit of interest, and some more nice roads!

The above is “a definite”. Let me know if you are coming as we will set off as soon as the head count for known attendees has arrived.

There are also the following events in the "maybe" pile to consider doing before doing the Grenfell; let me know if you are interested and we will see about coordinating a ride, or just go as you wish:

Gloucester Motorcycling Expo 30th April & 1st May 2016Sun 1st May 2016 - see http://hunterdog.org.au/DiscussionBoard/index.php?topic=1026.0 

The Great Nundle Dog Race - see www.nundle.com.au/events/the-great-nundle-dog-race/ and would be a pretty easy ride up Sun after the Sat at Gloucester. This is a great fun country event, and easy to manage. Interested?

Sat 7th May 2016 Trundle Abba Festival - see www.trundleabbafestival.com. I’ve never been, but saw footage of last year and it looked hilariously good fun! Interested? I do note their tent city set-up is now full and other accomm options are all out of town... perhaps this one is 2017?
Vince Sunter  ( I'm ready, how about you? ); Check out these Riding Tips: http://tinyurl.com/4x3fk43 ;   Pillioning Tips: http://tinyurl.com/3r5dbz4

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 500 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What is the 6th letter in Ducati?:
How many riders can a Ducati 1198 Panigale fit comfortably?:
There is one i in Ducati, how many does "the typical rider" have?: